There is currently no evidence to suggest that this virus is circulating in animals in Canada.
It is possible that some types of animals can be infected with COVID-19, but there is no evidence that pets or other animals can spread the virus. There are still many unknowns about COVID-19 and this is an area that remains to be studied and understood.
Until we know more, if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have a pet or other animal:
- Avoid close contact with them
- Do not snuggle or kiss them, or let them lick you, sit on your lap, or sleep in your bed
- Practice good cough etiquette
- Avoid coughing and sneezing on your animals
- Have another member of your household care for your animals – if this is not possible, always wash your hands before touching or feeding them
- Limit your animal’s contact with other people and animals – this may mean keeping them indoors
For additional information: